Thursday, December 15, 2011

Return to Dominance? The Greyhound Story




Yeah I'm gonna talk about my school and yes, I am one of the few alumni (with Scaf) from my class that still goes to the games.  I have even traveled to Bentley, Umass Lowell, St A’s, Holy Cross, and Providence to see them play.  Some say I am crazy for doing that, but you know I didn’t go to a big school and love the basketball, so why not I say?  Is it over the top that Scaf and I have tried to find commits through various websites?  Maybe it is, but I call it passionate.  Do you know how pumped we were when we found a recruit on ESPN's top prospects from Massachusetts (the only one there that didn't go to a Division 1 school)?  Yeah that’s you Jimmy Zenevitch.  Students go crazy for the Jimmy Zenevitch era; it’s gonna be a fun 4 years.

It's impossible not to be excited for the Coach Matt Mahar era to really get started, when he gets his guys in here.  That’s no knock on the current players, but has recruiting ties nationally.  He came from Charminade University (yes that is the school that hosts the Maui Invitational.)  On his resume includes wins against Villanova, Oklahoma, and Princeton.  Let’s go over that again, Charminade, a small division 2 school in Hawaii, beat a Big East, Big 12, and Ivy League school.  Can you imagine the hope that gives us in Worcester?

Yeah I remember the great battles with national power Bentley in both the NE-10 and NCAA tourneys.  The Hounds put up a good fight, but the one thing that was missing was a really good defensive effort.  Guess what has changed under Mahar?  Yeah you guessed it, that defense.  The help defense, the switches, and communication have improved dramatically.  What better way to win, and win a lot, than playing good defense and scoring at an efficient rate.  What's easier than scoring than feeding the ball to the block with our two monsters in Tim Beinart (6'6) and Jimmy Zenevitch (6'8) and then on top of that Ronson Quick coming off the bench, it is a loaded front court and all will be back next year.

Every home game I attend I look up at the banners and I see the dominance of the teams from the 70s.  I am confident the Mahar era will at least get us back to the NCAA tourney every year and hopefully more can give me a glimmer of the old time promise.  

Ohhh and I didn’t even mention the girls team.  With the senior leadership of Kelly Meradith and the dominant sophomore and junior classes, this team should be loaded for years to come.  Did I mention they are undefeated and ranked number 14 in the nation?  Is this the start of the return to dominance for the Hounds?  I sure hope so, at the very least it will be an enjoyable ride.


-The Boss

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Press Release Distribution